Heat transfer is the process of transferring images with the help of heat onto various products. When the paper is heat pressed on the product, it produces a permanent bond. This process requires industrial heat press or an iron to apply the image, logo or design to the object. The heat applied materials have a heat-sensitive adhesive on one side. When heat is applied the material attaches to the product. The images is printed using 4 ribbons, cyan, magenta, yellow and black.
Process of Heat Transfer
There are plenty of methods for producing heat transfers. Some of them are:
Screen Flex Heat Transfer
The process of heat transfer includes using combination of heat, pressure and time. This helps in transferring the design on the product. The design is printed in reverse onto a special release paper using any kind of sublime die. Then the image or design is placed against the substrate. After that is exposed to high temperature, usually 375 degree Fahrenheit. Pressure is applied as well approximately 60 pounds. Heat and pressure is applied for short period of time. After the cooling down of the substrate, the release paper is peeled away. The image will have been transferred to the product. This process is used for iron on decals.
Lithographic Flex Heat Transfer
This is a process of heat transfer used for photographs. During this process, the image is printed on the release paper through offset lithography. Then heat and pressure is applied to transfer the image onto the product. It provides a better image resolution and is more detailed.
Nylon Heat Transfer
In this process, a special screen printing ink designed to adhere to nylon is used. The rest of the process is the same. Heat and pressure is applied for a short time period to transfer the image on the substrate.
Screen Glitter Heat Transfer
This process also includes apply pressure and heat for some time. The only difference is of the ink used in the screen glitter heat transfer. In this is glittered ink as it provides a glittery and disco appearance to the finished product.
Benefits of Heat Transfer
Here are some benefits of using heat transfer.
- Heat transfer printing is environmentally safe and clean.
- It provides high-quality graphic resolution. The machines are able to print complex, vivid and full color images. These design or logos are detailed.
- It is cost-effective, simple and easy way to enhance the look of your product.
- The design printed onto the product are durable, adhesive, water resistant and heat resistant.
- Heat transfers are less messy than the screen printing machine. The reason is that is does not require different types of die. This reduces the risk of product being damaged by the ink spill.
Materials Suitable for Heat Transfer
The list of materials best suited for heat transfer is:
Products Suitable for Heat Transfer
See examples below...